Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Adjusting

Well, I feel like we are sort of getting in a routine. Kind of. Ok, not really. But things are getting easier now that everyone is feeling better in the house! Here are a few things going on:

Cora's 2 week appointment was quite interesting. When she was born they said she was 21 inches long. At 2 weeks she measured 24 inches. So, either they didn't stretch her all the way out at the hospital, or she grew 3 inches in 2 weeks. Any thoughts on that?

I applaud ALL nursing moms. I won't say too much about such a personal issue, but nursing has been the most horrible experience this time. I could only nurse Kaitlyn for 8 weeks, but I didn't even make it 2 weeks with Cora. It's been the most painful thing ever, and I'm just not tough enough to "work through it." Fortunately, I have an awesome doctor that doesn't make me feel guilty - and I'm pretty sure Cora and I are both happier that I don't scream and cry at every feeding. Let's just say "mastitis" is the worst word ever.

Kaitlyn has continued to do super good with this transition. She is starting at a new school - Young Childrens World at our church on Thursday. She'll go just on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I hope that she does well at a new place - I know that she is so ready to play with friends again. I'm also looking forward to some time with just Cora. Maybe I'll actually get a nap or two!

We have the greatest friends here. We have had the best dinners brought to us for the past couple of weeks. I really don't know how people go through times like this in their lives without a strong friend network. It's been such a blessing. Everyone has been extra sensitive to Kaitlyn too which has made her feel very special. Today a friend offered to bring lunch - and her sweet 4 year old over to play with Kaitlyn. James and I were talking today about how blessed we are with such sweet friends in our lives.

That's about all for now. Here are a couple new pictures:



17 comments:

Hollie Reese said...

She is adorable! As for the nursing...I am with you. I stuck it out for 3 months with Riley, but should have quit earlier. I don't think I am even going to try with this baby. I think that a happy mom and baby are much more important than nursing because you are "supposed to!" Don't let anyone make you feel guilty!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

the pictures are adorable- you have two beautiful girls! as for the nursing thing...i am just trying not to think about what is coming my way..eek

Anonymous said...

C-U-T-E!!! Those 2 girlies are precious. I hope your days get easier and easier.....I'm sure Kaitlyn will love her new school.

Kat said...

You and your girls are beautiful! I'm so thankful we're friends!

Anonymous said...

The girls look so cute! Do what is best for you and your kiddos! And then try to ignore anyone who tries to make you (or by accidentally insensitive remarks) feel guilty. There is not one thing that is best for EVERY mom, and certainly not one thing that is best for EVERY baby. I am sure you are doing a great job....I just wish I could come meet that little one!

Anonymous said...

Kaitlyn turned out great, didn't she? I don't know any breastfed baby that is that well-spoken or has that much personality!

I breastfed for 7 months and my baby acted like a little terd the whole time!

You gotta do what gets you through.

courtney said...

PRECIOUS pics of the girls!!

HO-NEY, if you ever want someone to help you feel that the world's best breastfeeder, talk to me. I know "to each his own", but I personally hated it--with both kids. We were all happier when we switched to formula!!

Also, the length thing....in the hospital they totally don't straighten the babies legs out to measure. We video taped when they did all of that stuff with Landry and she had her knees bent when they measured her. They were easily off at least an inch and a half!

Anonymous said...

Les-
I LOVED those pictures! Umm also, I'm coming to see you tomorrow! yessss! love you bye.

Anonymous said...

Kaitlyn looks so mature in that picture! What precious girls!

Kristen OQ said...

Beautiful girls!

I totally feel for you on the nursing thing -- with Sam I lasted 3 weeks, with Seth about 1.5 weeks! Just not for me.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! What program do you have that will just make Cora's name pink and the rest of the picture black and white? I want that one!

About breastfeeding, I just knew that I would hate it, so I didn't even try. Jackson seems to have turned out okay, and actually, he gets sick much less often than a lot of other kids we know who were breastfed. Anyway, if anyone gives you crap, send them my way! Our doctor in Abilene was awesome about it also. We used Dr. Strong. I miss him so much! Who do you use?

Anonymous said...

Good post Leslie (and I might add that I am impressed that you are already back to posting). No comment on the nursing issue because I have no clue. But, I think it's great that everyone is trying to make the transition a great one for Kaitlyn. Awesome pictures! We can't wait to come and see you guys in person!

hejlyeah said...

So CUTE! I love the pictures.

Nursing is SO HARD, and anyone who says it's a breeze is lying, lying I say! I did it for nine months with Cooper, and worked, pumped, the whole wahoo. I know on the next baby I'll be much more relaxed about the whole thing. It's not life or death. Every mom has to go with whatever works, fo sho!

Anonymous said...

I think you are doing great! As far as the nursing goes...I nursed longer with Kaylee and she had more trips to the Doctor than Campbell. Don't believe the hype.

Thanks for calling me today! You are too precious:) I look forward to seeing Kaitlyn on Thursday! She makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Your girls are too cute! I love the sister picture! Kaitlyn does look like a natural!

Nursing stinks!! I have never experienced pain like I did the first 2 weeks of nursing! You are the best...with or without your boobs :)

Love you girl! Hope all is well! I cannot wait to see your family of FOUR!!

Anonymous said...

Leslie-
I LOVE the first picture! Kaitlyn and Cora are precious. May God form both of them to be strong, humble, followers of His. I ask God to pour out blessing on your sweet family.

Anonymous said...

You have two adorable girls! I'm so glad Kaitlyn is adjusting well to her sweet baby sister. We look forward to coming to Abilene to see you guys again. We missed you at David and Amanda's wedding! Well, I've joined the blog world, so visit me sometime. I'm just getting started and I may need a few lessons from you sometime. You seem like the pro at this!