Thursday, August 24, 2006

This is just how it is.....

WARNING!!! VERY HONEST AND BLUNT BLOG TO FOLLOW.... I do not intend to offend anyone in this blog, it's just how I feel lately.

Parenting just sucks sometimes. Sorry Mom, but it does. I keep trying to convince myself that where Kaitlyn is right now is "just a phase." What does that really mean anyway? A phase. A better way for me to put it is, "A time in your child's life when you just really suck at being a mom."

I am so tired of the attitude! It seems like I am always threatening to spank or put her in time out. She has learned to "talk back." This probably comes from being in a class of 15 three and four year olds and one teacher. Which really makes me mad that I have to work. Anyway, she is always saying things like, "You're not my friend!", "I don't like that!", "I don't have to!", "I am very upset at you!" And she doesn't just say these statements - her voice is definitely elevated.

NOTE: I LOVE Kaitlyn. And for the most part, she is a precious, sweet, smart, funny, beautiful little girl. But she is also 3. And I've never been the parent of a 3 year old. And sometimes, I just don't know what to do.

It's so hard for me to read the blogs of so many moms that seem to have it all together, and have everything figured out. Seriously? Are you really that put together? Because I have a lot to learn. Teach me please!

It is really hard for me to work 8:00-5:00 everyday too. It kills me that freaking Teacher Kathy gets to see Kaitlyn more than I do. I don't like it that some days Kaitlyn could care less that I walk through the door at 5:00. I don't like it that my time with her each day is from 5:00-8:30, when I am totally exhausted from my mindless job, and just want to be selfish and lay on the couch.

I just want to do things right. I know I'm a good mom, and lots of kids don't have moms....
But I long so badly to be a better one. I know I can be better. I just hope Kaitlyn knows that.

8 comments:

Erica said...

I am sure you are doing a GREAT job with Kaitlyn. She is nothing but precious on the days that I see her. (so at least the attitude is not allt he time). Kaylee is in that stage right now too. It comes and goes but definitely comes more than goes. I am sure I sound a lot like you or worse on the days when I have had it. Give yourself a break because no one is the "perfect Mom". We love our children all the time but that does not mean we have to like them. This too shall pass, I hope because I am right there with you. I love you...you are a SUPER Mom!!

hejlyeah said...

I'm calling you later.

Anonymous said...

You're a great mom. I mean hello, have you met you? Kaitlyn is just 3...
Just remember. I wasn't always this great. It took a lot of spankings sometimes. Love you!

Shanta said...

Leslie- thank you for being so honest. It is obvious that your parenting is very important to you and that you love Kaitlyn very much. Cheer up Leslie, I'm convinced that A) No mom has it all together- and if it looks like she does, she's faking. B) I appreciate that you're a working mom, because I'll likely be one too someday. Keep us posted!

I ttruly hope it is a

Amber Smith said...

Oh Leslie, don't be so hard on yourself! It is obvious from your concern that you are trying so hard to do things the "right" way, whatever that is, and I know that God will bless you for that. Parenting is frustrating at times. It always seems to me that once I get one thing figured out, another obstacle comes along. I have cried many times because I felt like I didn't know what to do about some situation or another. That's just the nature of it.

Like some others have said, NOBODY is a perfect parent. I feel certain that Kaitlyn will remember the love and care that you poured into teaching her and, most importantly will observe your relationship with God and love for others. You are great!

Kristen OQ said...

I could have written this myself so many days (and weeks!). I will say that our 3's have been much harder on Sam than the terrible 2's! Is it bad that I am hoping for fantastic 4's?!? We'll see I guess...

Keep your chin up -- you and James are doing a great job with Kaitlyn!

Julie said...

I already can echo so many of your comments and Ryan is only 4 months old! So many times I am like, "seriously, why is he waking up from his nap already? I am not done checking my email!" I feel selfish and sometimes I just want to rewind and go back to my pre-child life. And then he will do something so cute and I feel so guilty.

Do you have the book The Strong Willed Child? I read part of it and it is really helpful, even with a 4 month old.

Just remember that you are always doing better than you picture yourself doing.

Kaitlyn is so well-spoken and smart for a child her age, it doesn't surprise me she has learned to use language to get her way or try to get you to do whatever she wants. I remember that I was a very sassy child who frequently told my mom things like "you are not the boss of me" and "I am NOT sorry" when I was told I needed to say I was sorry. She just kept letting me know that she was the boss of me and loving me and look how good I turned out :). Kaitlyn will get past it. Just keep loving her and sticking to your guns!

Jacinda said...

Hang in there girl! We ALL have bad days as parents, and like someone said, if anyone pretends they have it all together, they're faking!