Thursday, March 23, 2006

It's been awhile.....

It's been 7 days since I last posted. Yikes! I don't even know where to start! Let's just do a little play-by-play....

Friday: My mom was in town keeping Kaitlyn... it rained ALL day long, and Kaitlyn got a haircut. It was looking more and more like a mullet every day. It was almost to the middle of her back in the back, and a little past her chin in the front. Time for a change! She was SO excited to go get a hair cut, which made it really easy! Here's what it looks like now:



Saturday: Mom and I got up and went shopping in the rain. We got Kaitlyn lots of new clothes that she REALLY needed. At noon we went to a birthday for one of Kaitlyn's little friends, Sophia. Here, she had her first pinata experience! She smacked it pretty good 2 times! Check out her stance with the bat!



On Sunday it rained all day again.. so we just layed around all afternoon. James taught our class Sunday morning - his lesson was about silence and solitude. He talked about how we need to make an effort daily to spend quiet time alone with God. He did a really good job of stepping out of his comfort zone to lead class. It was so nice to have a long afternoon to listen to the rain and thunder, and just spend time with God.

Monday it was bright and sunny - but really cold. I was not expecting that! Here is our crazy story from Monday evening:

When I got home from work, James and Kaitlyn went to play in the backyard. About two minutes later James starts yelling at me, "Leslie, get your shoes on right now and come see this thing before it moves!!!" So, I put my shoes on and go out there and James said, "Just start walking towards the trash can and tell me what you see." I was like, ABSOLUTELY not!! You tell me what's out there, and I'll decide if I want to go see it or not. So, he pointed it out to me and said, "See that huge thing with it's head sticking up?" I saw it pretty quickly. Is it sad that the first thing I thought was, I have to take a picture of it - this is a good blog story!! I'm a huge dork, okay? So, I went in the house, grabbed my camera and climbed on top of Kaitlyn's playhouse. Here is what I saw:


I was freaking out. This whole time we are trying to keep Kaitlyn away from it. She wants to go touch it and hold it. Right. After I get a good look at it, this is James and I's conversation:

J: "Does it have teeth?"

L: "Yes it has teeth!! It's mouth is wide open. I think it's in attack mode. It's not shutting it's mouth."

J: "Okay. I'm gonna throw stuff at it to see if it will run away."

So, James starts throwing anything he can find at it. After a few failed attempts with throwing pecans, he grabs a plastic yellow bat and hits the thing right on it's back. It doesn't move. Which makes me look closer at it. I said, "James it's not even breathing or moving at all."

This story could have a totally dramatic ending, but Mr. Lizard man was FAKE. That's right. And when James realized this, he began beating the heck out of it with the plastic bat. Then Kaitlyn said, "Now can I hold it?" Hilarious.

Have a good day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

love that story! see you at work today!

Amber Smith said...

That is so funny! I saw the picture of the lizard and was wondering what in the heck it was. How scary if there were really things like that roaming around in your back yard. Great story!

Unknown said...

I love Kaitlyn's haircut- she has such beautiful curls & natural highlights! I was freaking when I saw the lizard- did James know it was fake? I would have FLIPPED.

Kristen OQ said...

Haircut is adorable!

As for the lizard/reptile/disgusting creature you saw in your yard -- I don't like things like that REAL or FAKE. Sam was at Target with me and found this fake rubber snake that he thought was cool and wanted -- ummm...no! Reptiles, amphibians, and rodents are not allowed at my house, even if I do have 2 little boys!

Shanta said...

That lizard thing looks pretty realistic to me! P.s. Kaitlyn is such a cutie pie. What a blessing Leslie!

Becky Martin said...

I love Kaitlyn's hair, so cute! I would have freaked out about the lizard, and I can see how it looked real sitting on the grass like that - yikes!

Carolyn said...

That is hilarious! Where did that crazy thing come from? I am like Kristen, I hate those things whether they are real or fake. Mostly because I can never tell the difference. I was biking at Hilton Head Island a couple of years ago, and almost ran over a huge black snake because I thought it was fake! It still gives me chills to think about it.

Amy said...

AWESOME!! It looks so real in the picture. Kaitlyn cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

True Story: Oliver has placed on our door step at least three times over the past year lizards (dead and headless)that look very similar to the fake one you blugeoned to death. next time he brings us another present I'll bring it over.