Thursday, May 01, 2008

Road Trip!

I remember when I was growing up, my mom would take me to do special things - with just me, not my brother. I really want to be good about doing this with my girls. (As they get old enough to remember it). So, Tuesday when James got off work, Kaitlyn and I hit the road. My cousin Abby was trying out for cheerleader in Midland, so I thought it would be fun to go down a day early, stay in a hotel and just have fun - Kaitlyn style. This particular style included:

* Jamming out to Hannah Montana the entire 2 hours there and back.
* Choosing to eat at McAlisters for dinner. (I may have had a slight influence on this)
* Swimming in the hotel pool until 10:15 pm and then again the next morning.
* Getting to eat chocolate chip cookies and milk in bed before going to sleep.
* Not sleeping at all during the night. Seriously. Every time I woke up the girl was moving around. She was up for good at about 6:15.
* Practicing cheers with Abby before try outs started.
* Lunch at Rosas.
* Going to see "Horton Hears a Who." This was a way cute movie!
* Getting the best shaved ice ever at Bahama Bucks.
Our conversation in the drive thru:
Me: "Kaitlyn, what flavor do you want?:
K: "What kinds do they have?"
M: "They have so many! They will probably have any flavor you want. You just name one and they will probably have it."

long pause.....
K: "Cornbread."

* Crashing in the car on the way home. She was SO tired.
Here are some pics...not in order.












I loved this time with her. She is growing up so fast, but she is still just a little girl. I had a sentimental "moment" the other day. I had taken her to get hot chocolate at Starbucks. I just look over and see her holding her cup with both hands, and I noticed that she still has little dimples where her knuckles will be. I totally started bawling. Poor girl thinks there is something wrong with her hands now. I had to explain that one.

14 comments:

Amy said...

What an awesome trip!! Every kid should get times like this. I think a cornbread snowcone is an awesome idea. It would go great with the bean-flavored one. Kaitlyn cracks me up!

Chris and Amanda said...

You are such a great mom and so grown up!

I love the pics!

The Speck family said...

You are such an awesome mommy, Leslie. What a fun girl's trip....and your hair is super cute! How did James survive the night with Cora and Claire- he is one brave man.

Hayley said...

What a great idea! I bet Kaitlyn loved it.

Wendy said...

What a neat idea! You are definitely the coolest mom.

Felicia said...

How fun! I will definitely have to remember this idea...you're so awesome! I laughed OUT LOUD about the cornbread! Bread lover? And..CUTE hair!

Anonymous said...

Mom took you on trips without me?? What the heck?! You're so the favorite!

Hollie Reese said...

That is great! Such a good idea!!!

annalee said...

that is the BEST idea! what sweet memories you are starting with your girl. i know there will be many more to come!

Jennifer K said...

The cornbread snowcone made me crack up! Love that girl! What a fun trip with mom. Great memories you are making with her. I LOVE your hair! Very flattering!

Anonymous said...

I love this! We have to get together soon. I miss yall so much!

Anonymous said...

It was a great surprise to see you in big Midland. I hope Abby made the squad. Glad you had a fun trip with Kaitlyn, she sure is cute (and funny)!

*Kendra* said...

Good idea. Your girls will remember that forever!

Martha said...

You are such a great mama! What a gift you give when you take time with just one... a gift for both of you. I love the cornbread comment! Keith and I are both rolling! So funny! M