Friday, December 09, 2005

A much better day...

Well, things have been better for Kaitlyn the past 2 days. (We'll see when we pick her up today what her note says though). I went yesterday during my lunch hour and talked with her teacher. I just needed to feel better about it - which I TOTALLY did when I left.

I just wanted to make sure that Kaitlyn wasn't turning into one of "those kids" that every teacher dreads having. Sharyl didn't feel this way at all. She said if she had time to write notes about all the good things the kids do, she would - but unfortunately all I hear are the not so good. She also said that (and I'm not saying this to be one of those braaaaagy moms) Kaitlyn just talks so well, that the other kids can't communicate back with her, and that frustrates her. She can't figure out a way to express her frustration. Of course, this isn't the only thing that makes her mad - 2 year old's just fight with each other sometimes!

Anyway, Sharyl had Kaitlyn help her make something that she could take her "anger" out on. This is hilarious. She decorated an empty 2 liter Coke bottle and put a bunch of rocks and stuff in it. Whenever K gets mad, she can just go get it and shake it or something. I totally didn't think K would understand this concept - but she gets it! Sharyl said she uses it almost every time she gets upset. I can just picture Kaitlyn growling at herself, walking over and furiously shaking or hitting the table with this bottle. Hilarious.

Anyway, she had a MUCH better day at school yesterday - and a great morning this morning, so we will see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weekend Kaitlyn is going to a birthday party for one of her new friends, Emma. It's a princess party - so we need to go out and buy her a little princess dress today. It should be fun to see all her little friends all dressed up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We just had a Christmas party with the University Relations department here at ACU. They gave everyone gift card to the mall! I'm so pumped about that!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is supposed to get in the 60's on Saturday!!!! What is with Texas weather. I mean, seriously. No wonder everyone has sore throats and runny noses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today is finally Friday!! I'm looking forward to a weekend at home with no major plans. I feel like we have been going and going on the weekends, it's nice to just hang out and relax.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night when Kaitlyn and I were laying in bed she just cupped my face in her hands and said, "I love you Mommy... you're so pretty." That was by far the best part of my week.

7 comments:

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

I generally give people tired head on my blog. I write like I talk. I digress!
I need one of those coke bottle things for my class, for MYSELF when I get angry at middle school kids! That is genius.

I digress...but, I could quote Christmas Vacash all day long!

Sara said...

See you did have something to post about. We have an off weekend too even though it seems to be quickly filling up. It sounds like Kaitlyn's teacher is therapy minded...I will have to remember that trick for kids dealing with anger.

Can't wait to hear about the weekend on Monday.

Shanta said...

Congrats on the successful end to the week. TGIF sister. And I think you're pretty too!

Amber Smith said...

I'm glad things are going better for you. I always feel like times with kids are periods of highs and lows. Just when I think I have everything figured out, the kids will start something new. I think whenever you become a parent, guilt comes with the territory. Take comfort in the fact that we've all been there. In my experience, those bad times are usually followed by great times. It looks like you are already on your way up! I like the coke bottle idea. That sounds like it would be put to good use at our house.

Ashley said...

I might need to make myself one of those 2 liter bottles.

Are you guys in Lubbock during Christmas?

Unknown said...

It is amazing what two year olds can understand and grasp! Kids are so much smarter than we give them credit for. So sweet that she told you you were pretty! What a precious girl!

Unknown said...

I am so glad Friday was a good day! The coke bottle idea IS GENIOUS! I mean, if only every person in America had their own coke bottle......this world could be a much more peaceful place!!??! Kaitlyn is such a smart girl- her mommy is so pretty!