Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas


Okay, seriously? Christmas is 4 days away? Are you kidding me? It totally doesn't feel like it. Sometimes I do a double take at our Christmas tree thinking - surely not! I'm so excited though! I don't know if I'm more excited about Christmas itself or about having over a week off from work!! Today and yesterday were Christmas parties at Kaitlyn's school. She has had more sugar than she (or I) can handle! It's been so much fun talking with her about Santa coming, seeing family, opening presents... but last night when I was putting her to bed we talked a lot about Baby Jesus - the real meaning of Christmas.

She loves her tiny white bible that she got when she was born. It is TINY, and has no pictures, but she loves to "read it." Last night she "read" to me (her bible was upside down). She said, in one long sentence, "Mary and Josep are baby Jesus Mommy and Daddy he was borned in a manger with all the cows and he looked up and saw a big star and then he went back into his tent." How precious is that. Her favorite Christmas song is Away in a Manger. She sings every word and it is so cute to hear her sing the higher notes. She loves to turn on the Christmas tree lights and make sure all the ornaments are in the right place, and that all the presents have bows on them so that "Santa doesn't get sad."

I'm so excited about starting Christmas traditions with her. This year we are going to about 4 different houses over a 2 day period. Crazy!! Next year we will probably stay home and start new traditions within our family.


Kaitlyn has also learned the words to Aretha Franklin's "RESPECT." Not even kidding. For about 2 weeks now in the bathtub she will just say, "What you want momma?" For some reason when she said that it made me think of that song, so I would just sing back "Baby, I got it! What you need..... and continue throughout the song." Oh the things you will do to make your kids laugh. Well, last night she again said, "What you want Momma?" This time I didn't respond, and she proceeded to sing the entire song with LOTS of "Sock it to me's." I laughed so hard.

10 comments:

hejlyeah said...

Just a little bit ... just a little bit.

Unknown said...

Love the Kaitlyn stories- soak up those bathtub memories! She is too sweet. I am so glad that you have a whole week off!

Amber Smith said...

Ha! Kaitlyn sounds like such a little cutie! So much personality! You guys have a great Christmas!

hollyfouts said...

Enjoy your time off, and have a Merry Christmas with your family!
This really is the best age. I have enjoyed getting excited about Christmas with Avery this year more than ever before. I can't wait to see them on Christmas!
Kaitlyn is so cute. Lane loves to teach Avery "grown-up songs" too. I can remember her singing "na, na, na, na,Hey, hey, hey, good-bye" when she could barely talk.
Anyway, enjoy the holidays!

Shanta said...

OW! A little respect.

Great post Mrs. Mayo! It sounds like Kaitlyn has the birth story down pat. Enjoy yourselves and give K a SQUEEZE from us!

Sam said...

That is awesome. Bailey has just started "singing" to us as well. It is the BEST!

Sam said...

James-

Due to your love for rap music, you are required to watch the video posted on Caire's blog. It is Hilarious. I immediatley thought of you.

MereMoore said...

hahahahaha! that is hilarious!! that little girl is too funny-she is living up to her "birthday" heritage there with ole Aretha!! Merry, Merry Christmas!

Becky Martin said...

You are far too hip...all kiddos should learn a little soul early on - good job!

I heard something on the TV this week about "what you want" and I totally responded "baby I got it" because I too associate those phrases together. My cats didn't start singing with me though, too bad!

swatterson said...

I love the Mary and Josep story! How sweet is that!