Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The One

This morning I got up at 5:45 to go to a men's breakfast. Normally this would be passed up because of the early presence. Mike Cope was going to be leading this meeting and future meetings.

I like Mike Cope, he's got a good head on his shoulders and he is approachable. His wisdom is wise and I feel there is no situation I have been in that he couldn't relate to.

So we talked about stuff guys talk about. I can't give away that part of the meeting because then you girls wouldn't be a curious about what really goes on at these breakfasts. I would say it is similar to your book clubs.

He then asked us to do something today that I haven't ever done. It’s easy and simple and makes plain sense but being a guy if it's not in front of my face I can't find it.

Tell your wife that she is THE ONE.

She is the one. I knew on July 4th, 2000. She knows I knew on that date because I told her later on in our relationship. She doesn't know that I still feel that way today. I usually say I love you or that she looks attractive but I don't think I tell her she is still the one.

Maybe she doesn't think about it as she gets in one of her moods and decides to clean the whole house top to bottom after doing so several days earlier.

Maybe she loses sight that I think she's the one when I don't take out the trash the second it’s filled.

Maybe when I help her with the dishes she thinks that I'm just being nice and feel obligated to do it since she cooked a wonderful supper, not because I think she's the one.

But she is the one.
She is the one who chose me over any other.
She is the one who said I do
She is the one who makes this marriage work
She is the one who gave birth to our child
She is the one who challenges me to be a better man
She is the one who gives of herself for others so much that I sometimes get frustrated
She is the one who makes sure that we know how special God is to us, our relationship, our marriage and our children
She is the one I love and will love forever

Mike said it’s important for us to make sure that we let our wives know that with all the struggles we have, we need others to support each other and not go into any battle alone (in believe this is from Proverbs 4). We should all pray for each others marriage to be successful. I still support my earlier statement that Mike is bright man. I also pray for his marriage to be successful for the next 28 years.

However, the one marriage that is on my heart all the time is mine. I know that with time some things tend to get overlooked and sooner or later you realize that maybe more effort needs to contributed here or there or this hasn’t been addressed in a while. But I will try to not let those things go too long without being fixed.

Leslie is the one and no amount of metaphors or limericks will ever change how special she is to me and how blessed I am to have her as a friend, wife, spiritual partner and beautiful mother.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

James, you rock. What a fabulous post that is for your beautiful and amazing wife.......we love the Mayos.

D Pitt said...

Wow, James I'm very impresssed. Leslie is great (and a good co-worker!)I'm gonna have to save this thing so that I can make one for Amanda in a few months...

Ashley said...

Leslie, go give that boy a kiss! What a great post!

Erica said...

Good job James!! You do have a true treasure in your wife. If you ever need some reminding just give me a call. I do not think she did too bad either.

Slacker said...

Now those are some brownie points! Kristen sent me an IM with the link to this saying I needed to read it. Not sure if it's because she was impressed by your poetic ode to Leslie, or if it's because I am utterly worthless by romantic comparison. Hmmm. Way to go, James... you've set the bar a bit high for the rest of us guys. ;-)

Shanta said...

James, that was so great! Thanks for sharing that sincere tribute! She thinks you're pretty exciting too I'll bet.
hmm.. thanks Kevin. I'll be forwarding this to someone I know..

Kristen OQ said...

James, as Kevin's post pointed out, you impressed me with the sweet words you wrote about your wife. You both are lucky to have found the perfect match in each other!

Anonymous said...

Jamie I know, absolutely, that you adore Leslie. That you could so eloquently express those feelings is very touching, but I'm still pondering the fact that you were up at 5:45 AM on your own volition!!!

swatterson said...

James I knew you were top notch! Great post...Leslie is a lucky gal.

hejlyeah said...

Made me cry. What a great post! You guys are awesome together.

Amy said...

Oh Mayo!

MereMoore said...

that was awesome! i love that she is still your one!! you guys mean so much to me and i love the relationship you have and are continually building! i miss you guys too!