Thursday, May 11, 2006

Grandmama

I just went to our vending machine to get some mints out. Random that I just wanted some mints. Anyway, the second I put one in my mouth, my mind flashed back to sitting in church with my Grandmother. She would always have these same mints in her purse, and everytime we would go visit her - during church she would give us one.

My grandmama called me this morning just out of the blue to see how I was doing - just said that I had been on her heart lately. I didn't make it to the phone in time to talk to her, but I listened to the message like 3 times.

Grandmothers, especially mine, are just special people. Here are some of my favorite things/memories about Grandmama:

1. As well as getting a mint from her every Sunday, I was obsessed with her fingernails for some reason. She always had long, painted, shiny fingernails. I remember just holding her hands and rubbing her nails during the sermon.

2. Listening to her sing, and appreciating her love for music. I think she has a wonderful voice. She could always hit the high notes! I still listen to music and often times think - "she would love this song."

3. Every house that she has lived in (I can remember 3) has had a distinct smell. This is not a bad thing. They all smelled like home. Like home cooked food.

4. She always goes all out for Christmas. She has 12 grandkids, and one great-grandchild, and she makes all of us feel special at Christmas. Every year we say we are just going to draw names. Not her. She does not participate. She always thinks of the perfect presents. (Not that that is what Christmas is all about though)

5. She drives a PT Cruiser. Anyone else have a grandmother that drives a PT Cruiser?

6. She is a nanny. As if she hasn't raised enough kids and grandkids - she goes and helps raise other people's kids. And she's GREAT at it. She has blessed so many families. They are all lucky to have her in their lives.

7. She has had her fair share of rough times - but has persevered through it all. She has come out of it a stronger, more faithful person. All throughout her life she has taught me how to be a better person.

8. I love her handwriting. It's just hers. In college she would send me $10 ore $20 here and there, and whenever I saw her handwriting on the envelope I would get so excited! Not just because I knew I was getting some extra cash, but because I knew she was thinking of me. She still sends us cards all the time - every SINGLE holiday and then some others here and there. I rarely throw them away.

9. She's beautiful. I've always thought this about her. She's very young and very pretty. Everyone of her friends and family members know it. My mom and all of her sisters are gorgeous too. Hopefully the "looking young" forever look will stick around for my generation!

10. She's a story teller. She loves telling a good story - good or bad! Anytime you're around her she'll tell you a story about something. I love this about her because it shows how much she cares for others. Some would say - she knows all the gossip, but she is just so deeply enmeshed in so many of her friends lives - she just wants to share their stories!

I know there are a ton more of my favorite things about her. I just wanted to remember a few of them here.

Love you Grandmama!


With me as a baby:
















Go ahead and make your comments about my outfit!













Just a few of the cousins:



















With Kaitlyn - the first time she got to see her:




















Kaitlyn

11 comments:

hollyfouts said...

Grandparents really are so special. I never got to know any of mine as an adult. My last one passed away when I was in college. But I especially LOVE the relationship my kids have with all 4 of their grandparents.

Your grandmother sound extra cool. A PT cruiser? My grandmother definitely never drove anything other than a gigantic Oldsmobile or Buick. And I am extra impressed if she reads blogs!

Becky Martin said...

I love your list of fun memories! My grandmother that I'm closest to is really losing her mind right now and has kind of become a different person (she can't remember anything and cooking, etc. have gone down hill a little).
It's good to think about the "good 'ole" days when she was younger and really fun - like your grandmother. Thanks for helping me remember that!

Amy said...

What a great post! I can't imagine what my life would have been like without my grandparents. My Grandaddy (Charles the first) passed away my junior year at ACU and I still miss him so much. I wish he could have met Charlie. Your post made my day!

Unknown said...

I love your 80's outfit! It's easy to see that your grandmother is a very special woman- and she's got a very special granddaughter too. I love that she drives a PT Cruiser- that is so fiesty and awesome.

Sam said...

Grandparents are the best. Sadly, mine have all passed away. But I know that I will see them again, "soon and very soon." I miss them all so much. They each added something unique to my life and I think about that every time I hear that "When I get where I am going" song on the radio.

It is also neat to watch my parents tansition into that role for my kids. They already love them so Much and I love watching that love and relationship develop.

By the Way, Is that Nathan Schartz in that picture of the Kaitlyn's first time to meet your grandmother?

mcjacobsjournal said...

I love your grandmother too. :) We grew up knowing and loving her at Midtown, and it's neat to read about the kind of grandmother she is to all of you. You have such a special family!!

Anonymous said...

man i look good in that picture...*BARF*

leslie said...

Sam - that is Nathan! He's the cousin that is closest in age with me. We are 4 months apart. How do you know him?

Erica said...

Grandparents are definitely the best. I miss my Nannie daily. She taught me so many things in life. How to be a gracious loser... How to cook...to be respectful and take care of the elderly among a few. There is a definite important role they play in our lives. Thank you for sharing your Grandmama with me. And "no" I do not know any other grandmothers that drive PT cruisers. So sweet!

Jacinda said...

I love grandparents! With me, it's Juicy Fruit gum that make the memories come alive...along with some other select food.

Also, about the outfit, that could be me! Red hair and all! LOL

Ashley said...

Sweet post to a sweet lady. That is great.

Nice sweater. You look good there. :)

All 5 of my grandparents passed away before I met Cody. It makes me very sad that none of them knew him or Carley.