Thursday, April 19, 2007

My sweet Kaitlyn

Yesterday was just one of those days for me. One of those days where it felt like I could do nothing right. The dishes went undone, the laundry wasn't done - which meant James had to wear a dirty shirt to a softball game, I felt extremely tired - which meant Kaitlyn was easily frustrated when all she wanted was just a little bit of my time. I couldn't figure out our finances like I wanted to. I felt like I should have had more to say at our Huddle group. I packed Cora the wrong bottle for church and she spit over half of it out. It was just a really long day. So, last night when both girls were in bed and James was out playing softball (in his dirty shirt), I just sat on the couch and cried. Kind of like I'm doing now. STUPID NEW BIRTH CONTROL!!! Anyway, about 10 minutes later, Kaitlyn came out and in the sweetest voice asked me if I would come lay with her. Any other night I would have just told her no and sent her back to bed. But, for some reason, nothing sounded better to me than to go lay with her. For those 10 minutes that I was in there, I felt like I was the child and she was the mother. She grabbed my hand and held it tight. She squeezed it 3 times, which is our sign for "I love you." And then, out of the blue she just starts praying out loud. Just a short, simple prayer. She said, "Dear God, help mommy to have a good day tomorrow. Because I just love her and I want her to have a good day. Amen." I cried, pretty much until she fell asleep. She usually freaks out when I cry, but she didn't this time. She just kept on holding my hand and rubbing my arm.

I truly believe that God speaks to us through our kids. I'm already having a much better day today.


18 comments:

Susan @ Blessed Assurances said...

Leslie, that is the sweetest thing ever! I hope you have a better day today and what a blessign that God used Kaitlyn to comfort you last night. (((Hugs))))

Susan

Anonymous said...

Squeeze.....Squeeze.....Squeeze
Love, Mom

Kara said...

sooo sweet

Kristen OQ said...

Now I am crying! That has to be one of the sweetest stories ever.

Aren't kids amazing? Pieces of heaven right here on Earth.

Kat said...

I'm crying, Leslie! I love that Kaitlyn could take care of you in that moment. Love your family!

hollyfouts said...

What a sweet girl. You are both blessed by your special relationship.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift from God - straight to your heart. Isn't it amazing how he meets our needs?

Amy said...

Thanks a lot--now I'm crying too. What a sweet girl! God uses our babies in amazing ways!

Jacinda said...

Oh my. That is too sweet!

Anonymous said...

remember that time i bawled when i read your blog?? that's so presh.

Kate said...

What a sweet, peaceful message God gave you through Kaitlyn.

Unknown said...

So, so, so sweet- that is definitely a story that she will love reading one day when she is a mommy. They really are little angels here on earth, aren't they?

Julie said...

That is the sweetest thing ever...I love that girl!

Whenever Ryan is really tired and lays his head on my shoulder when I pick him up, I always rub his back and he has started rubbing my arm or shoulder when I rub his back.

It's like "I love you too" in baby talk. Or baby silence. Whatever.

Amber Smith said...

Precious Kaitlyn! God does use our kids to speak to us. They are so sweet and know just the right things to do to make a rotten day better. So sweet!

swatterson said...

ahhhhh! so sweet! :)

Ashley said...

SWEET story and a sweet girl! Love you!

Anonymous said...

This brought tears to my eyes! What a precious memory! Never forget it!

hejlyeah said...

Awww! *crying* That is great. Whenever things are crazy at our house and Cooper sees it, he always comes up to me and pat-pats my arm, like, it's okay mommy. I love that.