Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Being Thankful

I totally forgot to tell this story in yesterday's post. On our way to Dallas last weekend we stopped at a gas station Wendy's to grab a bite to eat. While we were in line there was a family - mom, dad, and 4 children. They were all pretty dirty, they didn't smell too good. James has always told me not to stare. I have a BAD habit of "people watching." I just always want to know people's story. Anyway, the children were pretty young, but the oldest was probably around 15 or 16. They were all looking at the menu trying to decide what to order when the oldest boy looked up at his mom and said "We wouldn't be eating like this if you hadn't got a raise, huh mama?" His mom just said "Shh...", as to not let the little kids hear him.

I about started crying right there. A gas station Wendy's being viewed as eating some amazing dinner. We are so incredibly blessed. A small meal like that one, we take for granted all too often. I think so much about children or families in other countries that are less fortunate. But we were reminded that there are people right here who are overflowing with excitement when they get to induldge in a few chicken nuggets and fries.

Count your blessings!

2 comments:

hejlyeah said...

I just hate hearing about people like that, but then you think, there are people like that around you every day, just needing to be taken care of. I wish I did more of that! We all have it so good, and we take it for granted!

Becky Martin said...

Thanks for keeping your eyes open to what's around you. It's stuff like being attentive to what God's put in front of you that we are so often distracted and don't notice. I got a lump in my stomach just reading that story - puts everything else in perspective.