Monday, November 07, 2005

Family Retreat


What an awesome weekend! We went on a family retreat that Highland does twice a year. We went to an HEB Encampment called Echo Valley in the Hill Country. It was soooo pretty. The weather was beautiful. Here are the highlights:

~ Getting there late on Friday night and watching Kaitlyn help James light the lantern.
~ Having our own HEATED cabin full of bunk beds for Kaitlyn to climb around on. We pushed 2 beds together and all slept long ways.
~ Waking up with the sun on Saturday and Sunday and looking out to a most gorgeous view of big trees and crystal clear water!
~ Watching all of the kids turn a sand volleyball court into one huge sand box. They had a blast.
~ Watching huge catfish swim around in the clear river.
~ Making sure Kaitlyn didn't jump in the river.
~ Going canoeing. Almost tipping the canoe over. Getting mad at James b/c I thought he was trying to tip the boat over on purpose.
~ Watching Kaitlyn and her new "boyfriend" Boston play together.
~ Playing tennis, volleyball, and basketball.
~James beating me in PIG. First time in 4 years.
~ Swing with Kaitlyn on a huge tree swing that went out almost to the river. Hanging on for dear life.
~ James being the MC for the Talent Show on Saturday night. (I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures of that)
~The Talent Show. Hilarious songs, skits, and just plain talent! I mean, who plays the harmonica without using their hands, or one of those things that straps around your head? Awesome.
~Church on Sunday morning. Serving communion to one another. Seeing an old man cry and about an 8 year old girl cross the room to go and hold his hand.
~Holding Kaitlyn as she slept on Sunday morning. She wasn't feeling well, but it's been awhile since I've held her like that.


~Getting to know more families at Highland. And spending quality time with mine.
~Yummy food.
~KP duty.
~Warm fires.
~Singing songs.
~Playing games.
~Getting away.

All in all it was a wonderful weekend. But we were ready to sleep in our soft bed last night! Here are a few of the pics. The rest are on the Flickr link.


9 comments:

Shanta said...

It looks beautiful at your retreat! I'm so glad you guys had a great time. Cool shot in the canoe thing. Well, welcome back to the land of the living and responsibilities!

Unknown said...

What a great getaway.......I'm relaxed just reading about it! Hope you guys have a great week- did you all perform in the talent show?!?!

hejlyeah said...

That does look like a beautiful place. I can imagine James emceeing the talent show. Ha! Funny, funny guy.

Kate said...

I'm so glad ya'll had a great time. The pictures look beautiful! I hope Brandon and I can go on the next one! Cute picture of the family in the canoe!

Kristen OQ said...

It looks beautiful there and sounds like it was an awesome weekend. The perfect get-away...

MereMoore said...

so fun! oh how we all wish we could have witnessed mr. MC!

Alyssa said...

I am so glad you guys had a fun weekend! I, too, would have loved to have heard James..bet he was hilarious!

swatterson said...

Once again...I'm so jealous of you b/c you get to go to Highland. Preston and I are sitting here saying that we should move to Abilene so we can go to church there. Get an engineering department at ACU and we might think about it. :)

Amy said...

I'm jealous! That looks like it was awesome!!