Wednesday, August 03, 2005

My Brother Neil

My brother is graduating from ACU this Friday. I am so excited for him, as he begins this new phase of his life. He is living in Midland right now working for Cingular. He is thinking about becoming a firefigher, which I think would be totally awesome. Anyway, as he is on my mind, I thought I would share a few memories about my brother with you.

(In no particular order)

I vaguely remember when we shared a room. I was in a big girl bed, and he was in his crib and we would throw his blanket back and forth.

I lied alot to Neil. I used to tell him there were leprechauns under my closet that made things for me.

I remember going on vacations in our suburban, laying the seats down and making tents. Seatbelts anyone?

I also remember road trips where I would complain that his headphones were too loud, or that I could hear him breathing.

I remember us making our dining room window a drive through restaurant for our bikes. The only thing we made and sold was pickle juice.

I remember my birthday party when I was 9 or 10.....we were trying to bust the pinata and Neil's mouth got in the way of a swinging metal bat. Lots of orthodontic work after that.

I remember watching all of his friends surround him the day he was baptized at Greenlawn in Lubbock.

I remember playing Super Mario brothers for hours in his room. He was always one level farther than me. (But he pushed the buttons too loud)

I remember reading stories that he wrote about wolves, and being amazed at his creativity.

Going on family vacations to the mountains, hiking around the creeks, racing each other through the trees.

Waking each other up on Christmas mornings to go see the presents Santa left for us.

I remember chasing him around the backyard with my cape on. (Really a blanket, but it was my supergirl cape.)

I remember coming back from a spring break campaign and learning that he was in the hospital in California with pneumonia. I remember the constant tightness I felt in my stomach until I knew he was okay.

I love listening to him play the guitar. When he was first learning how to play, I remember being excited for him when he picked it up so quickly.

I remember waking him up in the middle of the night when I went into labor with Kaitlyn. He was sleeping on our couch. He was like, "Are you serious? Right now?"

I remember how much fun it was to see him around campus when I was a senior and he was a freshman at ACU.

I remember how much it bothered/bothers him when I tell him his hair smells like bacon and eggs.

I know there are so many more memories....these are just ones that I thought of really quickly. I am so proud of Neil. I am proud that he is my brother. I am excited about where he is headed. He will be good at whatever he chooses to do. I pray that God will pour down blessings from heaven as he continues this journey called life.

2 comments:

hollyfouts said...

Pickle juice? Yuck--you know how I feel about pickles and their juices leaking too close to my turkey sandwiches. I don't like the bread to get MOIST!
Enjoyed the memories--I hope that my kids can share such a great relationship.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I've never been blogged before and I'm not sure how to respond. Thanks for remembering the good times and not when I broke your bedroom door or when we got in a fight and one of us was thrown against the living room stereo. Thanks for everything you taught me: how not to breath so hard, how not to brush my teeth so hard, how not to press the buttons on the nintendo controller so hard, and how not to crunch my ice. Thanks for being a great sister, In fact, thanks for being the best sister I've ever had.