Friday, October 28, 2005

Going to work with Dad

Kaitlyn went to work with her Daddy today. She was SO excited. James usually has a very light day on Fridays, so he thought it would be fun to have Kaitlyn tag along. I'm anxious to hear how it goes, and if James' customers bought more food because he had a sweet little girl with him. She is pretty persuasive!

I remember getting to go to work with my dad. He drives around in a big truck - and I mean BIG - and sells electrical supplies. He has done this faithfully for over 20 years. It was so much fun to get to ride with him, and sit up high in his truck. Sometimes he would even let me type the invoices on his computer. (That's a high tech way of saying he let me push "Enter" a few times) But that made me feel special. I even got to go inside some of his customers buildings with him. He was always so proud to tell people who I was - and that, too, made me feel special!

There was a time in my life though, where my dad had to take me to Jr. High in his enormous truck. Any of you remember your Jr. High years? I mean, who wasn't the biggest dork? I know I was. I made my dad drop me off way over on a side of the school where no one could see. That makes me feel so sad now! I remember there was another girl who's dad drove a truck similiar to my dads and we would sometimes be dropped off on the side of the school building together.
But looking back now, I am so proud of my dad and the work that he does. He can take me driving in his truck any day - and I will totally think it is cool.

Kaitlyn got to ride in her Pappy's truck last time we were in Lubbock. Yes, he sure did strap her carseat into the seat right next to him. It was quite possibly the sweetest thing I have ever seen. They both had huge smiles on their faces when they drove back up in the drive way. I'm sure she will continue to love playing in his truck as she grows up. My brother and I used to play "ambulance" in the back of it. When Neil and I moved away to college - a little boy down the street asked my dad to come speak at his elementary school about his job. This little boy said he wanted to grow up and sell stuff like my dad. He was so proud of it! My dad went - and I'm sure did an awesome job. This little boy would come down to my dad every once in awhile with a dollar or two in hand, wanting to buy stuff off my dads truck. My dad was so good about making that little boy feel special - and giving him just the right item for whatever project he was working on.

All of this to say - I love you Dad! I am so proud of the work that you do! But more than that - what you taught me and Neil about loyalty, making work fun, ministering to others through your job, and not letting your job take prioritiy over your family.

I am thankful that Kaitlyn is with James today. I hope there are many more days like that in the future. I pray that she grows up with an appreciation for what her dad does to support our family.

5 comments:

Shanta said...

Great story Leslie- I remember going to work with my mom when I was little and getting to "file" very important papers. And I also was in charge of refreshments.. she would give me 50 cents and I could go buy her a diet coke out of the concession machine. I loved playing office and I think that's why I became a business major! Now, I sit in one all the time... those were the days!

Sam said...

I remember going to work with my dad. It was nothing like you guy's stories though. It actually involved work. Starting at age 7 I worked at my dad's automotive shop in the summer. Let me rephrase, the hot Texas summer (No AC). I was told to clean the floor. Have you ever tried to clean the floor in a auto repair shop. There is a little bit of grease and oil down there. I remember him asking me to take a motor apart and put it back together again. It took a hammer and a pry bar but I got it apart. Never did get it back together again. I worked hard while my sister, who was also "working" slept in the air conditioned front office, until my dad fired her. That's right,he fired my 12 year old sister, said she was draining morale by sleeping all the time or something like that. Anyway, regardless of the hard work, I am so thankful for my dad and the lessons he taught me and for the memories of working with him and for him. They are some of the best memories I have. I am thankful for him as well.

Unknown said...

Alright, tears after reading Leslie, Shanta and Sam's reflections! You guys seriously need to keep all these posts for your children to one day read. When I would go to work with my dad I was convinced his building was named after him.....getting to go down to the cafeteria to buy breakfast was always fascinating to me! Those were fun times, and thanks to my dad I went into accounting....what was I thinking?!?!

hollyfouts said...

I remember my dad took me to school freshman year of high school. One day he cut himself shaving, and he drove me up to the school with a Kleenex hanging off of his face. I though I would DIE of embarrassment. I love that Avery thinks that her Daddy is the coolest guy on the planet, but I know one day it will all change and her silly Daddy will embarrass her

swatterson said...

I always begged my dad to let me go to work with him but he never let me....seeing as how the fire station was an hour away and he worked 24 hour shifts.

So how did it go with Kaitlyn and James?