Thursday, October 13, 2005

Memories!

This weekend in ACU Homecoming. I am totally excited, but really sad that many of my girlfriends from my year can't come back! Coming to work today I noticed purple and white streamers on all of the light posts, huge canopy tents all over campus, buildings decorated.... everyone is in the spirit! It is also ACU's Centennial year - 100 years!

On this memorable occasion, I thought I would just share some of my favorite memories from college.

Freshman Year:

Feeling totally overwhelmed at Welcome Week
I went pot-luck on my roommate who transfered out of ACU at semester. She didn't like the rules.
Meeting Meredith Speck (Clayton) on the basketball court. (I had just got a REALLY bad haircut)
I worked at TCBY
Went on a Spring Break Campaign to Chicago
Went with a totally random group of friends to my uncles lakehouse at Possum Kingdom.
Meredith and I went back by ourselves and had a near death experience with a dog named Killer.
For Sing Song we were teeth. Wore huge cardboard cut outs of teeth. We though we were awesome. Not so much.

Sophomore Year:

Pledging! I pledged Sigma Theta Chi.

Bid Night - my bid-night buddy was Meredith. She put so much afro sheen in my hair - it was greasy for weeks.

This is the year that I met my best friends. Friends that I will have for the rest of my life.

Went on a Spring Break Campaign to Nashville, TN where a bunch of us got tattoos. (We all got an Icthus (sp?) on our ankle. That was a fun experience.

Road trip to Muleshoe!

Porch parties outside of Sara and Noelle's room. Listening to awesome 80's music.

For class Sing Song we were police officers, for club we were Annie. That was a bad year for Siggies.

Junior Year:

I lived in the L-house with Sara, Sara, Noelle, and Stacy. SO much fun! It had an awesome porch with 2 swings. We hung out out there practically every night.

I remember the night we all waited nervously before finding out that Sara made Sing Song hostess!!

Road trips to Emory, San Antonio, Galveston, Tennessee

Watching FRIENDS on Thursday nights at Angie, Hayley, Julie and Cara's house.

I took a summer mission trip to Asia where I visited Singapore, Malaysia, China, Japan, Hong Kong, Indonesia, and the Phillipines.

Was a counselor at Leadership Camps.

James and I started dating 2 weeks before school was out.

For class Sing Song we were Egyptians, for club we were Chili Peppers.

Senior Year:

I lived with Cortni in Riatta Ranch apartments. (I moved a lot!)

I remember having so much fun playing intramural football and basketball. James and his friend Brandon Stover were our coaches. That was the funniest thing ever. They went to Goodwill and bought yellow sweaters to wear for the games. Or they dressed in their nicest suits.

I developed an awesome friendship with Julie!!

Cortni and I DROVE from Abilene to Virginia for Travis and Kelly's wedding. That was a great experience - one that is recorded on video.

For class Sing Song we were Greek People, and Siggies were Cowgirls.

Going on walks with Meredith around campus.

These are just a FEW of my memories. I absolutely loved ACU and wish everyone could experience college here. I loved going to chapel everyday at 11:00 and listening to4000 people sing. I loved having professors that knew you by name, and you could call them by their first name. I loved that many of my professors prayed before class, and often had us over for dinner in their homes. I loved listening to the bell tower play hymns before chapel. I am truly blessed and thankful for my parents that allowed me, and sacrificed so much for me to get a Christian education.

Happy Homecoming!!!

5 comments:

Shanta said...

great memories Leslie! I have many of the same: walks around campus, soccer coaching by James (go Junior League!) and dorm life. I'm glad we'll get to spend time together at dinner. Luckily, we don't have that much catching up to do!

hejlyeah said...

Awwww ...porch parties! I'm going to cry!

Don't forget about Sylvia and Matt B.'s Jeep!

OR, getting up every morning Soph. year and working out with me, always having to wake me up, and Noelle being like, "dude." Ha! We were awesome!

Meredith said...

i laughed and cried while reliving these same memories with you again. you are the bestest friend ever and i am truly grateful that i met you that day. (despite the hair-do.) and by the way, you never mentioned winning the biggest championship of our adult lives!! the siggie basketball!!!! we were so freakin good. awesome.

Erica said...

Enjoy the weekend!! Maybe we will be there next year. Glad you made it back from your trip and sorry about the car rental.

Jacinda said...

I enjoyed reading your memories and have been planning to write something similar this weekend. I want to dig through some old pictures to post! You mentioned one of the years being a bad year for Siggies in Sing Song. EVERY YEAR I was in Siggies was a bad year for Sing Song. So sad! We were stars (worst ever!), Girl Scouts, and Peter Pan & Tinkerbell (I think that was it). We never won while I was there! We had lots of fun though!