Friday, September 23, 2005

Date Night

This is ACU's Centennial year. All year long all these "big name" people are coming to Abilene to speak. Last night our office had tickets to go listen to Lester Holt. I had no idea who he was, but turns out he is a weekend anchor on NBC. Anyway, we had my cousin (Squig Brenna) all lined up to babysit. Well, Lester got stuck in Galveston covering the hurricane, so he cancelled at the last minute. Darn. I was so incredibly excited. However, James and I were looking forward to a night out, and Brenna, being the college student she is, was counting on the money - so we decided to go out anyway.

We first went to eat at my all time favorite restaurant, Olive Garden. I actually tried something knew, Chicken Giardino (sp?). It was so good! After a nice dinner w/o sippy cups, smashed crackers, and things getting spilled - we were off to play BINGO!!

That's right. Bingo. We played a couple of times when we were in college. It really is a lot of fun. You can actually win some big money. Bingo has gone pretty high tech on us, however. Most people now play with computers and some other little machine. We were waiting in a long line to get our cards and noticed a line with no people in it. The lady that was standing there said, "This is for paper cards only." So, wanting to play Bingo completely old school, we jumped over there and got our cards. I mean, what is the point of playing Bingo if the computer does it all for you? Plus, my hot pink "dobber" was pretty awesome. By the end of the smoke filled night, we had not one any money. But the most precious old couple behind us took home the $750 black-out prize. Good for them.

When we got home Brenna had Kaitlyn all tucked in bed asleep. Way to go!!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

That is soooo awesome- you two will be adorable 90 year olds one day whipping out your bingo cards and doppers!

Shanta said...

What a fun date night! That stuff is so important and yet it seems to be the first thing we are willing to let go of. I'm proud of you! Sorry you guys were big losers.

hejlyeah said...

Man, bingo. Good times! Gotta love Abilene!

hollyfouts said...

I think you just aged yourself about 40 years! What has Abilene done to you guys? Glad yall had a fun night out.

Ashley said...

Whoa, all of a sudden I thought I was reading your parent's blog instead. j/k I love old Abilene. You guys are a cute couple. In just a few years, someone will be writing about guys as the cute old couple.

Hey, I am serious about EOX breakfast. Maybe we can even ride together.

mcjacobsjournal said...

Leslie,
It has been fun to find your blog through the web of Prestoncrest friends! And, I miss Bingo in Abilene! Fun stuff. (Also, Chicken Giardino is my by-far-favorite at Olive Garden. I've ordered it every time for years and years. Good choice!) I just forwarded your blog to Cortni, so hopefully she'll find you soon!

Take care!
Chelsea

Amy said...

I love it! What's wrong with Bingo? That would be a big night for us! We'll have to visit and go back together!

poe said...

So funny! We had planned a couple date night since the Savells evacuated to our house and the girls were going to go to Parents Night Out. However, Justin worked late . . . too far to go and too little time. You know, you lived in McKinney. So, date night was spoiled and we settled for Two Rows with the girls. Still fun! But, next time we will have to plan for Bingo! Glad you got a night out alone. And aren't reliving the college days the best!

Anonymous said...

Now it's my turn to babysit!!!