Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Saddest Thing Ever

I just left to go grab a bite to eat for lunch, and on my way back I drove by Kaitlyns school to see if her class was playing outside. Sure enough, they were - so I decided to inconspicuosly drive by and watch her play for a minute or two. Well, nothing slips by my little girl. She spotted me. I tried to drive away quickly so that maybe she would just THINK that she saw me. So, I cirlced around and peered through some other cars to see the saddest thing I have ever seen. Kaitlyn (wearing her pink sweater jacket with her hood on) clinging to the chain link fence looking as if she was about to just cry her head off and I could see her just saying "Mommy, Mommy..." I seriously started crying. So then I was faced with a decision. Do I go back and let her see me and hang out with her for a little while? Then she would really freak out when I had to leave. Or do I just drive away with my daughter inside a chain link fence crying for her momma? My heart was just pounding. Still is as I write this. So... I decided to just kind of hang out where she couldn't see me until I knew she was okay. If it looked like it was going to take her awhile to stop calling out to me, then I would go in. But, within probably 30 seconds she was back to playing in the sandbox. But, even then, I just wanted to go back in and say, "Yes, I was here Kaitlyn! I just came to check on you and watch you play, and make sure you were having a good day, and tell you that I love you, and I wish I didn't have to work all day every day, and that I would be back real soon to get you...."

I feel like SUCH a horrible mom. I mean, I can't stop crying about this!! Ridiculous, I know - but it was heartbreaking that I had to leave her there and couldn't take her home.

Okay, I have to stop writing about it. What would you mom's have done?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Bless your heart. I'm not a mom, but I do know that you are one AMAZING mom, so go easy on yourself......

Shanta said...

Sweet Leslie- you are a wonderful mom. And she learned that after a few short moments she can have fun in other ways-without mom- like back in the sandbox. You're both raising a smart, observant, independent girl that LOVES HER MOMMY more than the sandbox. What a great thing you've got going...

Ashley said...

That is such a sad story. I have no advice or thoughts except that she loves her mommy and you are a wonderful mom for doing a drive by. Oh, bless your heart.

There was an episode of Full House when DJ kept seeing Steve everywhere because she missed him so much. Show that to her and maybe she will think she imagined seeing you....

hejlyeah said...

Sweet little Kaitlyn. You did the right thing, because you're her mommy, and you know what she can handle and what she can't. And, she's fine! I hope I'm as great of a mom as you are!

Alyssa said...

Leslie, that story breaks my heart-It always makes me so sad when I know that Lauren is upset and I am debating the best way to help her. You are such a wonderful Mom- I am sure that she moved right on- and had a great day.

Becky Martin said...

What a tough thing to experience! At least you work near by and had the time to consoul her if you needed too. I'm just glad that it didn't seem to ruin her day because it would have been so hard for you to go back to work if she was still hurting. Good job with the stake out!

poe said...

I would have done the same! I almost started crying just reading it!