Thursday, September 08, 2005

Stolen Thunder

First of all everyone needs to read the post under this one first.

I had this nicely written out statement that I wanted to post before she posted anything and was surprised to see that I was too late. That's fine, but I wanted my take on the significance of September 8. Here we go. . .

Some said it could never be done, others only speculated. However, on September 8 my life has been changed. It was a sense of excitement, it was a day I will never forget. I know exactly where I was when it happened and recall all the storylines that led up to this wonderful event each time.

You see, when I was a kid I had dreamed that I would be alive when this moment occurred. I was and this single date has been more spectacular than I could have ever imagined.

Mark McGwire has been my favorite baseball player since 1987. I collected every single card he was on up to 1993. He was awarded rookie of the year honors and won 2 world series. Many people thought he would change baseball his rookie season with 49 homeruns, 10 more thann the previous record. 50 would have been inconceivable. Which is why he is my favorite player.

He averaged a homerun every 8.3 at bats that season. However, with 3 games left in the regular season he stopped playing. He wasn't injured, he was perfectly healthy but his wife was due with their first born son (Matthew). So Mark missed the last 3 games (approx. 12 at bats) of the season to be with his wife before their baby was due and missed out on 50.

Fastforward to 1998, on September 8 at 9:18 PM EST he hit #62 breaking Roger Maris' record of 61. Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle were two of my mom's favorite ball players. My grandfather loved Mickey Mantle and so naturally I did too. That homerun record is probably the second most cherrished record in baseball next to all-time homeruns. The first person Mark hugged after that 62nd homerun was his son.

Numerology fact: If you add up the digits of when Mark David McGwire hit his 62 home run it equals 62.

Leslie thinks I wanted to get married on Sept 8 because of Mark McGwire's record. She's right. but the reason is because 4 of the 6 greatest days in my life have fallen on that day. A .666 average will get you in the hall of fame. Which is funny because our address is that number too.

Leslie, I love you so much and I know I already BUZZED into Mystery Match, but I would BEE honored if you would let me BEE in love with you for the rest of my life. I don't know if you alreadyd have a date, I guess you can me around 8:00! Remember this?

Thank you for saying YES! You are the reason I am.

3 comments:

leslie said...

The settings got changed somehow and it wouldn't let anyone post a comment. but i fixed it! thanks james, that was a sweet post. :)

Shanta said...

Awww... you two are too cute. I'm glad 9/8 is special for you too!

MereMoore said...

yippee-i'm glad you fixed this! happy anniversary-did you sneak on to the baseball field???